Sunday, March 18, 2018

MORE AMAZON REVIEWS OF "PRAIRIE DEFENDER"

Here are two more Amazon reviews of Prairie Defender:


DALE JONES


Shatters the myth that Lincoln was only a lawyer for the Illinois Central. The author, an experienced criminal law practitioner, provides a clear exposition of the practice of criminal law in general for laymen and explains well how criminal practitioners think about and try their cases. I practiced criminal law for 41+ years and came away impressed by both Lincoln and Mr.Dekle's analysis and insights.



«««««LINCOLN, FOR THE DEFENSE - EXCELLENT BOOK (February 8, 2018)

I've read 7 or 8 books on Lincoln's legal career in the past couple of years and I would put this right up there with my two favorites: Dirck's "Lincoln the Lawyer" and Steiner's "An Honest Calling." Except for a few instances, the details of each of the capital cases are fairly dry - especially considering what we see on the news every day n modern times - but the book is made exceptional for several reasons: a) colorful details of life on the Eighth Circuit that I had not seen before; b) exceptional expert insights from the author on trial strategies, cross-examination, criminal law procedure (period and modern) that I have not seen in any other book on Lincoln; c) rebuttals/corrections of received wisdom (actually, mostly myth) on Lincoln's part in some trials and d) an assessment of Lincoln's abilities as a criminal attorney. I borrowed this from the library but I am definitely adding to my own collection. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

No comments:

Post a Comment