Friday, April 6, 2012

RENEWING OLD ACQUAINTANCES

This past Tuesday evening as I was leaving my prosecution clinic class at UF, I ran into an old friend whom I hadn't seen in a while. The Hon. William R. Slaughter, Jr., who recently retired as County Court Judge in Suwannee County, was at UF acting as a volunteer judge for Appellate Advocacy oral arguments.

I have tried many cases before Judge Slaughter and I have also tried many cases against him when he was in private practice, and I have always had the highest regard for his skill, integrity, and collegiality. It was always a pleasure to try a case against him, even when he was beating my head in.

Judge Slaughter expressed interest in purchasing my book, "The Last Murder," and by the strangest coincidence I happened to have several copies in the back seat of my vehicle. I autographed a copy for him and we parted ways.

Today I received an email from Judge Slaughter, and he has given me permission to reproduce it on my blog. Judge Slaughter wrote:

"Just a short note to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Murder.  It was well-written, easy to read, and laced with you trademark humor.  I never read a book in one sitting….until now.  About 5 hours straight.  It was that interesting."

When I wrote the book, I tried very hard to make it accessible to anyone who might be interested in the prosecution of Bundy, but my target audience was criminal trial lawyers and law enforcement officers. Judge Slaughter's comments, coupled with feedback from other lawyers and officers, indicates to me that the book reaches its target. 


No comments:

Post a Comment