Sunday, April 15, 2018

THE RATTLESNAKE I USED FOR A CHAIR

Not long ago in my post entitled "Fearless Girl versus the One-Ton Bull: A Reality Check," I mentioned that I had once accidentally sat down on a 6'4" rattlesnake while taking down an old fence on the farm. My brother Bill killed the snake with 6'+ stick, and our father took pictures of us holding the dead snake as a sort of a trophy. I thought those photographs had disappeared beyond all recovery long ago, but I was wrong. Bill still has the photograph of him holding the snake. I borrowed it and scanned it, and here it is as evidence of how observant a person I was and still am.



It also serves as evidence that the fifty some odd years between my sitting on the snake and my telling the tale in the blog post added approximately 2" to the length of the snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment